Flowe Family

Flowe Family

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie

It's recipe time. Those of you who only check in to see my kids and family, skip on ahead!! I thought I would share another recipe though. It is a good way for me to keep track of it, in case I ever need to reference it. My girlfriends and I actually do share recipes a good bit, and I find that we are often sending each other emails that sound something like "sorry to ask you for this recipe yet again..."


I decided to wrap up winter last week with a comfort food dish. My chicken pot pie. For a long time I wanted a good recipe for this, but the only ones I came across involved crust ONLY on the top. This was not going to cut it for me as I think the crispy crust is the best part, so I came up with my own recipe a few years ago. 
These are my ingredients but you can use any veggies that you like. Also, I have made this before with leftover roast beef.

2 large chicken breast cooked and shredded (a rotisserie chicken from the deli works well too)
1 cup of frozen shredded or diced hash browns
1 sliced onion
1 small bunch of asparagus cut into inch long pieces
A handful of baby carrots cut up into bite sized pieces
Half a cup of whatever cheese you have on hand, shredded
1 package of chicken gravy
1 box of pie crust dough. They come 2 to a pack and are found in the biscuit isle


Saute your onion, carrots and asparagus in some butter in a pan


Spray a deep cooking dish (I use my Corning ware) with cooking spray and put down 1st layer of crust. 

Prepare gravy on the stove
Combine chicken, hashbrowns, veggies, cheese and gravy in a bowl and mix well. Poor on top of 1st layer of dough. Cover with the 2nd layer of dough. Cut 2 slits for ventilation. Cook in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. 
This is always enjoyed in my house or is a nice dish to make for someone who just had a baby or did you a favor! 

No comments: