Flowe Family

Flowe Family

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Not Your Average Weekend

I mentioned in my previous post two things. 1, that my grandmother, cousin Kim and her daughter Abi were coming to visit us. 2, that Baylor was getting sick. Both of these events happened as planned. It was a shame that they had to meet Baylor for the 1st time when he was so under the weather. We tried to get in some quality time, but just could not help the fact that he was not well. We did have a few good moments with everyone. We had dinner at my mom's Friday night. Saturday morning Jason stayed home with the sick baby and let Brighton and I join everyone for breakfast on the water. 


We all joined them later that day but our visit was cut short when Baylor was getting worse not better. As instructed by the nurse I spoke to, we were feeding him tiny doses of pedialyte every 5 minutes. He could not even tolerate this and continued to throw up, constantly. At least doing that (pedialyte) kept him hydrated enough to have (barely) wet diapers and tears :( 
Since I was on the phone ALL WEEKEND with the after hours nurses, they reassured me that he was at least not dehydrated. We kept thinking this was a 24-48 hour bug that would pass. So did the nurses.  By Saturday evening I was beyond worried. I have never had a child this sick on my hands. We went to Urgent Care but were RUDELY turned away. They had an empty waiting room and I could clearly see the Dr. in the background  who was not busy. They refused to look at Baylor, telling me I would have to go to the ER. This was at 7:30 PM, 30 minutes before closing time, again, empty waiting room. I begged for them to just at least look at Baylor and give me some advise on how to get through the night. Refused. They also refused the next patient who came in, telling him to go to the ER as well. They clearly wanted to get started on their fun Saturday night plans. I was PISSED but more so worried about Baylor. Jason and I felt reassured by the fact that he was not showing signs of being dehyrated and he was having some happy moments, so we could not see us sitting in an ER waiting room for hours while we fed him pedialyte like a bird, and him constantly throwing up. We would do that at home. Sunday morning, no better. I called the nurse. She sent us to a special Pediatrician Urgent Care. Thank goodness. They saw us right away and were actually concerned. Since Baylor had no fever they checked for some other things. Dr. was worried about some areas and wanted to be cautious, in case he needed surgery, so she called an ambulance and we were taken to Levine's Children's Hospital in Charlotte. 
In case you were wondering, babies ride on gurneys while still strapped in their car seats! 

As you can imagine, Jason and I were beyond scared and sickened with worry. Trying to stay calm, but it is pretty hard to see your baby in an ambulance. The good part about that was that we were seen immediately upon arrival. After a few test and ultrasounds they gave us the relieving news that surgery would not be happening. 
Waiting on his ultrasound
Sick, hungry baby/ Worried, tired Mommy
We were there for hours. The doctors and staff there were wonderful. They finally decided that he had a nasty virus that was staying with him way longer and more severely than it should, and gave him some medicine to stop his vomiting. It worked. After more evaluation they discharged us with a prescription. What a scare! I am grateful that we took the precautions that we did though. I am also VERY grateful for that Magic Medicine they gave him! 

Since we will be getting a hefty bill for all of this, we decided to keep the hospital gown. He looked so cute in it, though I NEVER want him to have to wear one under any circumstances again! 
At home and finally happy!

Brighton never really knew what was going on as he was having fun with his cousins, grandparents, Aunt and Uncle.
Baylor is getting better every day. He is now back to eating bottles as well as solids! As for that 1st Urgent Care facility I went to, their management team will be hearing from me. I was told at the children's Urgent Care facility that their behavior was NOT acceptable and that I should report them. They gave me the info so that I could do so. 

Glad Baylor is okay, but sorry we couldn't spend more time with my out of town family :(





 

No comments: