Flowe Family

Flowe Family

Thursday, March 21, 2013

What is wrong with this picture??

The problem with this picture is that it is March 21st, and these boots should be packed away in a storage bin, sitting in my basement, waiting to come out next Fall! Instead, they are still out and about, ready to be worn by me, or by Brighton when he is playing Super Hero. It is still so cold and looks like it will continue to be for the next couple of weeks :( I have never done this before, but a few of my friends who are fellow bloggers often throw into their blogs some recipes that they have been making or some health and diet tips. Those who know me, know that I LOVE to cook. I am not a baker but will try to tackle cooking almost anything, especially savory dishes. Both of my grandmothers were/are true Southern Cooks. If you had a grandmother like that, then you know that it is some GOOD eating!! I enjoy cooking some of those dishes such as fried corn, iron skillet cornbread, chicken pot pie etc... but for the most part, in my household, those are enjoyed more in the winter months of the year. Once it gets warm out, I find myself craving and making healthier, lighter fare. For the last 2 years I have been a huge fan of kale. Kale is one of the healthiest foods that you can consume. Very good for you. I recently made my favorite, very simple kale salad and brought it to a party where everyone seemed to be interested in it. I thought I would share the recipe in case anyone wants to try it. Remember, I am not a baker so I do not do actual measurements in my recipes!! This large bowl of my kale salad consisted of the following ingredients:
2 large bunches of kale, pulled from the stalks and chopped or torn into small pieces
 1 large lemon
 4-6 Small sweet peppers cut up
 A tablespoon of kosher or sea salt
 About 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
 "Massaged Kale Salad"
 To the chopped kale, with clean hands, massage the leaves with most of the salt. This breaks down the bitter kale. In a separate bowl, combine the juice of the lemon with the oil. I add a pinch of salt and pepper to "wake up" the lemon juice flavor a little. Whisk. Pour dressing over the kale and mix well. Let it marinate for 12-24 hours before serving. For a fancier touch, add some pine nuts before serving.  ENJOY this healthy and tangy salad. Its great as a side or an entire meal (that is, if the weather is warm and you are not craving country fried steak with gravy!!!).

No comments: